Friday, June 16, 2023

What I’m planning for Father’s Day

Can I fit in a meatball sub? A celery Victor salad? Here's hoping.

My Father's Day Plan

Good morning. I had an exceptional lobster roll the other day, sitting with my family on the dock at Archie's Lobster in Bass Harbor, Maine, as gulls soared on a southwest breeze. Some very good steamed clams, too. But it was the crab roll we ate there that's been haunting my dreams, that makes me want to cook this weekend, to bring that flavor back into my life: sweet and saline meat, ever so lightly dressed, on a warm, buttered bun.

The meat's not cheap. But as Gabrielle Hamilton put it in The New York Times Magazine during the pandemic, alongside her excellent recipe for crab toast (above), there are moments when being reckless at the fishmonger is exactly what you ought to be. "I can't escape my morbid thoughts — none of us can, or should — but then you have to make some decisions based on the long brooding," she wrote. "For me, a pound of fresh peekytoe crab meat is the way to go."

Me, too! I'll scrimp and save next week. That's my Father's Day plan, right there.

But, if I can't find the crab, a reverse-seared steak wouldn't be bad, with roasted duck fat potatoes and a thatch of steamed asparagus, and apple pie for dessert. Or I could go for some buttermilk fried chicken, with greens, mashed potatoes and cream gravy.

And I absolutely want to make Genevieve Ko's new recipe for trail mix, so I have sustenance for a long walk and talk on Sunday. It's a cool technique she teaches: You don't toss the raw nuts and seeds in oil before toasting them, but with vinegar, which gives them a little tanginess against pinches of salt and sugar.

Could I fit a meatball sub into the weekend plan, too? A celery Victor salad? Some spiced Irish oatmeal? Here's hoping. Dad gets what he wants on Sunday, no?

There are thousands and thousands more recipes to consider making this weekend that are waiting for you on New York Times Cooking. Yes, you need a subscription to read them. Subscriptions support our work and allow it to continue. I hope, if you don't have one already, that you will take one out today. Thank you!

Please write to us if you run into trouble with the technology: cookingcare@nytimes.com. Someone will get back to you. Please write to me if you'd like to lodge a complaint or simply say hello: foodeditor@nytimes.com. The volume is such that I can't respond to every letter — I am but one man. But I do read every one.

Now, it's a long distance from anything to do with capers or blueberries, but I jumped back into the work of Tana French recently, with her ace 2010 novel "Faithful Place," which sees a supporting character in her Dublin Murder Squad series take center stage. It's crackly good.

Also in the murderous vein, I've started dipping into Archer Mayor's police procedurals about Lt. Joe Gunther of the Brattleboro, Vt., police department.

Here's a good read in the Oxford American by Jessica Wilkerson, "Lady Vols Country," about growing up in Tennessee in the 1990s.

Finally, let's all listen to Big Thief's "Shark Smile" this weekend, nice and loud. I'll see you on Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for Cooking from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Cooking, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, including those regarding The Athletic, manage your email settings. To opt out of updates and offers sent from The Athletic, submit a request.

Subscribe to NYT Cooking

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagrampinterest

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment

1115 Waiver Demonstration - Vermont Global Commitment to Health Amendment

    On April 30, 2024 Vermont submitted a request to amend i...