Monday, February 6, 2023

🏁 Axios Finish Line: Celebrating bonus time

"Nap when you want." | Monday, February 06, 2023
 
Axios Open in app View in browser
 
Presented By HCA Healthcare
 
Axios Finish Line
By Mike Allen, Erica Pandey and Jim VandeHei ·Feb 06, 2023
Feb 06, 2023

Welcome back! Smart Brevity™ count: 464 words ... 2 mins.

 
 
1 big thing: Celebrating life's bonus time
Illustration of a butterfly resting on a cane

Illustration: Natalie Peeples/Axios

 

Last week, we asked readers in their 70s and 80s how they're spending this unique time of life, which is often filled with less stress and more free time.

  • More than a thousand of you flooded our inboxes with lessons learned and thoughtful advice for younger generations.

Here's a selection of the responses we received, with more coming in future editions of Finish Line:

  • "Everything is in sharper focus — from the owl who hoots at 4 a.m., to the faces of the grandkids as they experience new adventures, to the everlasting connections I have to former colleagues, to my oldest friend Linda from grammar school, to my dearest friend Ediss, whom I met in 1974. At 71, you know what matters. ... I hope I have a robust 20 years ahead; however, I remain grateful for every day I get." –Ann L., Bradenton, Florida
  • "My advice: Volunteer. I am 87, pretty active and reasonably healthy.  What makes me happy is doing volunteer work, and it checks the boxes in your article.  It keeps me in contact with good people; it gives me a sense of purpose; it gets me on my feet and outdoors, even in the Indiana winter." –Nancy T., Indianapolis, Indiana
  • "I am loving my 70s. We get to visit and play with our grandchildren. I get extended time to study scripture and classical guitar, and I've taken up rowing for exercise on a Hydrow machine in our garage, which is great for staying in shape. Best of all, I get to spend lots of time with my wife of 44 years!" –Ralph R., Grand Rapids, Michigan
  • "I'll be 72 in three weeks. I work a few hours a week, and I'm active with the local chapter of my college alumni. I also try to work out five days a week. I can't remember a better time in my life than I'm experiencing right now." –Mark I., Houston, Texas
  • "Although I am widowed, I have finally learned exactly what I want in my life: more solitude and time with my children and grandchildren. It's taken me almost 70 years to let go of unhealthy friendships and live an authentic life that makes me happy." –Lucy S., Dallas, Texas
  • "What I love about being 80: People generally don't expect to change you. You can take a nap when you want." –Linda B., Berkeley, California
Share on Facebook Tweet this Story Post to LinkedIn Email this Story
 
 

A message from HCA Healthcare

HCA Healthcare helps caregivers advance their careers
 
 

HCA Healthcare invests in caregivers through education, technology, capital investments, infrastructure and more.

Last year, 13,009 colleagues participated in HCA Healthcare's tuition assistance program, including 6,451 colleagues working towards a nursing degree.

Learn more.

 
 
🗺️ Map du jour
Photo courtesy of Ann J.

Finish Liner Ann J. writes: "I love old maps and have a series of them in my foyer."

  • "My favorite is the one of Montgomeryshire. My Jones family migrated from Wales in 1856 to Iowa. My folks found this map somewhere and I've always liked it — even named my little Welsh Corgi, Monty, after our ancestral home!"
Share on Facebook Tweet this Story Post to LinkedIn Email this Story
 
HQ
Are you a fan of this email format?
Your essential communications — to staff, clients and other stakeholders — can have the same style. Axios HQ, a powerful platform, will help you do it.
 

Axios thanks our partners for supporting our newsletters.
Sponsorship has no influence on editorial content.

Axios, 3100 Clarendon B‌lvd, Arlington VA 22201
 
You received this email because you signed up for newsletters from Axios.
To stop receiving this newsletter, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.
 
Was this email forwarded to you?
Sign up now to get Axios in your inbox.
 

Follow Axios on social media:

Axios on Facebook Axios on Twitter Axios on Instagram
 
 
                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment

22 spring outfit ideas to fight fashion-decision fatigue

Your Horoscope For The Week Of May 13 VIEW IN BROWSER ...