Sunday, August 28, 2022

What to Cook: Herb-marinated swordfish, browned halloumi, silken tofu

Other recipes to make this week include pumpkin seed pesto pasta and sweet and sour eggplant.

What to Cook This Week

By Priya Krishna

Food Reporter, Food

There are many reasons to keep a block of silken tofu in your fridge at all times. Raw or steamed, whole or cubed, seasoned lightly or aggressively, silken tofu means dinner, fast.

I love when a recipe puts the wobbly texture of silken tofu front and center, like this one from Hetty McKinnon. She dresses the raw cubes with a spicy soy dressing, sesame seeds, scallions and herbs. And that's it! The beauty of silken tofu is that you don't need to do much to turn it into a delicious snack or meal.

But maybe you want to celebrate summer produce! Last Friday I made Hana Asbrink's cold tofu salad with tomatoes and peaches (above). I ran out of peaches, so I doubled the tomatoes. The tofu soaked up the dressing like a sponge, and I sopped up the juices on the bottom of the platter with some bread and called it dinner. I doubled the tofu because I ❤️ tofu and can't help but treat a single block as one serving.

And I am dying to make this noodle recipe, also from Hetty, which turns silken tofu into a creamy vegan sauce, punctuated with garlic and five-spice powder. Just try looking at the photo and not wanting to dive right into it!

And finally, the tofu wizard herself, Yewande Komolafe, has this brilliant recipe for a tomato-based Thai curry. You pour the hot broth over the raw silken tofu just to warm it through. I know it's still hot out, but fall is around the corner.

Me, I could eat tofu all week. But here are a few other ideas to get you set up.

Monday

I am getting married this weekend. (Wedding planning: a process I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemies). That means I'm spending the week in semi-quarantine trying to learn a Sangeet dance while doing table assignments. I'm thinking simple is best for dinner. Maybe a tepary bean salad from the book "From I'Itoi's Garden: Tohono O'odham Food Traditions" by the organization Tohono O'odham Community Action, which Kevin Noble Maillard adapted. It's got beans, corn, bell peppers and a cumin-laced vinaigrette that I can repurpose for later in the week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday

This herb-marinated swordfish employs one of my favorite techniques, which is to marinate after roasting. You often get more flavor that way!

Wednesday

I love pesto so much and will try any variation on the basic formula. This pumpkin seed pesto pasta by Genevieve Ko is no exception. For all the parents: This pesto has no nuts, so it's great for school lunchboxes!

Thursday

This Sue Li sweet and sour eggplant tastes even better on Day Two. I skipped the garlic chips and added the thinly sliced cloves in with the eggplant at the beginning. It was still awesome!

Friday

Browned halloumi is always the start of a great meal, and that's true of this crispy rice salad with halloumi and ginger-lime vinaigrette. I love that this recipe smartly turns leftover rice into croutons. Rice croutons + halloumi = a hearty salad worthy of dinnertime.

I genuinely love to hear from you, so please message me on Instagram or Twitter at @priyakrishna if you liked this newsletter. Until then, I'll be counting down the days until the Season 2 premiere of ABC's "Abbott Elementary" on September 21. The teaser trailer is everything.

Melissa will be back on Monday, and I'm off to get hitched! Until next time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for Cooking from The New York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to NYT Cooking

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagrampinterest

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hydrogen Company Could Get $1.66B

Plug Power surges in premarket after conditional commitment for a billion-dollar loan.‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ...