Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Re-Steve Poltz

What you wrote about Steve is equal parts genuine, and generous.  We both know he deserves it.  But you really did him well.  You captured his spirit so beautifully.  Bravo.

Very nice to meet you, and to chat, and to laugh...what a most lovely time.  Thanks for including me w/ such a positive light in your story, as well.  You have a lot of reach.  Deservedly so.  I see it as a match for your thoughtfulness, your intelligence and your scruples.  Bravo, again.

I look forward to the next time, Bob.  We'll see you down the road.

Kenneth Pattengale

_________________________________

Hey Bob, I'm so glad you got to see Steve, I co-wrote the Petrichor song with him.

We made friends instantly when I went to see Tommy Prine, John's son, and it turned out Tommy was sick and Steve took his place at the show. I had never seen Steve before and I was there with a couple of songwriter bluegrass pals Shawn Camp and Nick Forster, who had never seen him either.

We were gonna leave when he started his set because there are no harsher judges than bluegrasser songwriters. Shawn was looking at his watch and pointing at the door and then Steve took us over and we were blown away. When he told the Prine story we were all in, cause we were pals with John and I got to co-write and play on his Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings record. I could just see John in the van, realizing that the Disney store was right next to his hotel, the whole story is a wonder. Just as you described, I told everybody about Steve, and I'm still telling everybody, and we've written a big pile of songs together. I told my wife about him and insisted on taking her to see him, cause I couldn't wait to see her reaction. I've been making music for a living my whole 74 years and it's very rare that I'm as entertained as I am by Steve. He is a brave man with no set list that trusts his talent and goes for it every show. I've been reading your stuff for years and I'm thrilled that you championed Steve. I was pleased to see that you included my post the other day about the loss of my longtime pal JD Souther. Another recent loss was my friend Will Jennings, and too many more. It's that time of life, still hard to take. Thank you so much for what you do, I'll be reading along and probably agreeing. 

Gary Nicholson

_________________________________

Steve Poltz did one of the most amazing in-store performances we've ever hosted at Grimey's. He's supposed to be promoting his new album at the time (Shine On, produced by my friend Will Kimbrough, who also wrote Jimmy Buffet's 'Bubbles Up' and accompanies Steve on this performance), but he pretty much just does his thing - telling stories, making songs up on the spot, engaging and interacting with the audience and ENTERTAINING. He pulls Molly Tuttle and Grant Lee-Philips out of the audience and up to the stage to join in and even convinces Grant to do his Neil Diamond impersonation! It's big fun and his bit with the kids is genuinely heart-touching. The performance is pro-shot and still up on youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30vn1upUwU

I love that you're championing Steve Poltz. He's a genuine treasure.

Doyle Davis

_________________________________

As a performer in San Diego people always ask me "who should I see first" I say "Poltz".  "Who should I see 2nd?"  "Poltz".    I've seen him two days in row where he didn't play the same song.  I've spent days with him on white water rafting trips and he always had something positive to say.   Just being around, him for a few days at his songwriting camp.  inspired me to write some of my popular songs.  I just saw him here in Reno and for the first hour he played new songs that I didn't know, and nobody was bored. 
He's one of my few true heroes.

Ronald Hill

_________________________________

Thanks, Bob, for shedding even more light on San Diego fixture Steve Poltz. And he's everywhere at once! Just ran into him again here in town during the Americana Music Week last Wednesday, appearing at the Madison House Agency function – outside, during the day – and he killed (as usual).

Larry Butler
Nashville

_________________________________

Thank you for the Poltz piece. I've been following him since the mid 90s when we toured with the Rugburns. We've recorded 4 of his songs and are about to release another. His absurdist humor is spot on & makes the coldest hipsters laugh. He's also one of the best acoustic guitar players alive. 
And he shook hands with Elvis.
TCB
Bill Davis

_________________________________

Steve Poltz is indeed terrific and I'm glad you wrote about him. He's a pal. but despite that I'll insist he's the best live one-man-with-guitar artist I have EVER seen, and I'm 90 (i.e. older than most dirt) and seen a LOT of music over the last 75 years.

The only person who's even come close — as a story teller and entertainer — was Loudon Wainwright III in his early years.

Cheers,

Richard Flohil

_________________________________

Bob, facts: He's a national treasure. I'm going to his show at the Ark in Ann Arbor, and I should bring a seat belt for my chair; who knows where this trip he's driving us will take us. 

Mike Vial

_________________________________

I met Steve in 2002 when he played at my house with Beaver Nelson, Scrappy Jud Newcomb and Adam Carroll. It was the beginning of what has become a very long journey. I have now seen Steve perform 113 times,  in 20 states, DC and Ontario, travelled cross country with him, gone to baseball games with him, stayed in his apartment, he has stayed with us, and my wife and I were with him the night of his stroke in Wilmington Delaware and took him to the hospital in Princeton NJ. I have introduced him on more than a few occasions and to say that each show has been great is an understatement. As he says, "this is the greatest show I have ever played".... he truly believes that!! He is a dear friend who should be as big as the biggest rock star, but no matter it doesn't bother him in the least! He is a dear friend and I can't wait to see him the next time because every show is different. Thanks for being in my life Steve.....you make it better!!

lou DeMarco
Momentary Love Management

_________________________________

I've been writing about Steve Poltz since he released his solo debut One Left Shoe in 1998, when he was encouraging audiences to sing along like Chewbacca and regaling us with stories about how he and Jewel wound up on a boat with Mexican narcotics officers arresting drug smugglers right before they wrote You Were Meant for Me. And every word of it was true, there are photos to prove it. Somehow he wanders the globe in a cloud of fairy dust, picking up inspiration as he goes along and building audiences bit by bit along the way, he really is a one-of-a-kind mutant, hard-wired to entertain, a 21st Century song-and-dance man who never uses a setlist and can go off in any one of a million directions at once. 

Amazingly, he recorded his 2010 album Dreamhouse in my hometown of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (with Canadian rocker extraordinaire Joel Plaskett), before heading to my partner Jordanna's hometown of Perth, Australia to make his next album Noineen Noiny Noin (the Aussie pronunciation of "1999"), basically two polar opposite ends of the planet. We go to see him every chance we get, and if he spots us in the crowd, he'll perform From the Top of Her Head with the line "from COOKEtown to Perth, to the ends of the Earth" with a wink and a smile (on the album it's "from Darwin to Perth"), so it's become "our song" in the popular parlance. How do you top that?

~Stephen Cooke
Halifax, NS

_________________________________

He is a favorite of ours!   Love the Prine story - it is hysterical in its full story!   Love his guitar story and he is a good player too!  Love Poltz 

Terri Williams

_________________________________

One of the 10 best shows I've ever seen was Poltz at McCabe's a few years back, before the pandemic. He is my kind of religion, boy howdy.

Sorry to have missed this past Sunday. I could have used some of that, even if it does leave me a dishrag for the rest of the week.

Colleen Wainwright

_________________________________

Truth.   Thx for writing about him.   

I've seen him 30+ times.  He's terrific.  One of the best storytellers.   He's hilarious.  Non-stop laughter.  The best kind.    And so talented.   I love the crowd participation how he involves everyone and nobody in the audience feels left out.   

Fiona Bloom

_________________________________

Ok I will go see him!!!

Peter Noone

_________________________________

Thank you a thousand times for singing the praises of Steve Poltz, a true gem. I was stage managing the Angeline's Bakery stage at the Sisters Folk Festival many years ago on a Sunday afternoon, the last show of the festival. We cleared the chairs and packed 'em in, thank God the fire marshall didn't arrive. Poltzy made 'em laugh, made 'em cry, crowd surfed and played way over his allotted time, until he had nothing left. Incredible, amazing, unforgettable. He deserves every accolade!

Sean McGowan
Portland, OR

_________________________________

Steve Poltz is the genuine article and one of my favorite people. 

Our company managed Steve for several years in the mid-2000s. It was a difficult time in the music business as managers and artists were trying to figure out a path forward, especially hard for an artist who had previously been on a major label. 

I signed Steve because the talent was undeniable, but he was basically starting over again and it was a tough climb. To Steve's credit, he persevered for the last 15 years and became that show business rarity - a late career success story. We are still friends and I couldn't be happier for him!

Charles Driebe, Esq.

_________________________________

Poltz is amazing, and a friend of a friend (I think that's probably Steve's relationship to everyone on Earth at this point).

Saw him a few years ago at Largo. Couldn't believe how good the show was or how lucky I was to see it.

He's also an VERY fun follow on the old Facebook.

Probably the best troubadour you'll ever see. Even though Bob Schneider is in the conversation.

Tim Wood

_________________________________

Kenneth Pattengale would be a perfect compliment to this guy. I have neever seen Steve Politz, but was fortunate to see the Milk Carton Kids maybe 10 years ago at a Studio 519 show in Redondo Beach. They were incredible, and I have kept an eye out for them ever since. Glad they are all making it in a niche genre. 

Terry Watson

_________________________________

Oh Bob! Thanks so much for lauding the Saturday afternoon folk festival killer that is Steve Poltz. My son was out with the brunette Joni named Heather Maloney a few years back (I couldn't get Heather to call their full band act "Heather Maloney and the New Stone Ponies")and they were sharing the stage with Poltzie often. 

I used to bump into him at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville hanging and listening to the Long Players rip thru the white album with Pat Sansone of Wilco stepping up to sing the high ones…

He's the essence of what live music is supposed to be …. FUN! I hope you're sides recover from the good splitting. 

Enjoy your emails so…

Blaine 

Dr. Blaine Leeds

_________________________________

I had the good fortune of seeing Steve perform twice last week in Nashville - first, at an intimate house concert of singer/songwriters hosted by my buddy Craig Lackey (a songwriter and neighbor of Steve), and then again 4 days later when he performed as part of the lineup for Americanfest.  He performed at the club 3rd & Lindsley, doing a full set right before the headline act of Dave Alvin and The Guilty Ones with Jimmie Dale Gilmore.

Both performances from Steve that I saw were uniquely different and equally entertaining.  I've seen him perform 4 times now, and I can attest that each show is different and captivating - and all are HILARIOUS !  After each and every show, I indeed felt like I had witnessed "the greatest show he's ever done".

Hope you're well.

Phil Stanley

P.S.  Dave Alvin and Jimmie Dale Gilmore were AMAZING.  I highly recommend seeing them whenever and wherever you can.

_________________________________

A much loved San Diego treasure his annual 50th birthday parties at the Belly Up in Solana Beach, CA are one's of legend!  This review is stellar and as longtime supporter of local music in San Diego, I appreciate your support of this unique human that can change your life, such an entertainer.  Comedy and Music all from the mind of one person...

THX

Tim Pyles

_________________________________

I have seen Poltz twice, once at a club in Nashville and once at a house concert in Phoenix, and you are spot on-he owns his stage. I have a few of his albums, but they are no substitute for his live show. The stories are as important as the songs.

Laurence Cavanaugh

_________________________________

Poltz is amazing. Just saw him in Nashville at AMA. 

Donald Cohen

_________________________________

The greatest aspect of your podcast is that it opens up my eyes to new and not so new artists. I missed the boat on Steve Poltz until I heard him on your show. I have listened to it three times in its entirety and I have sent it to all of the music fans I know.

I am now scouting a Steve Poltz show near me or in Nashville so I can see him in person. Thank you for always finding fascinating guests and for opening my eyes to artists who have so much to offer.

You facilitate opening the lid to so many new rabbit holes the listener gets to climb down. Every podcast sends me on a deep dive that leads to a world of musical treasures!

Thank you!
Stephen Jones

_________________________________

Thank you for the thoughtful review or my client.  I as well as our entire team appreciate it and couldn't agree more with your sentiment. 

Sincerely, 

Adam Bauer
Madison House, LLC

_________________________________

Yup. Poltz is a force of nature. Thank you for giving Steve his due.  I haven't been to a major concert in years - just for this reason.  House concerts. Small clubs - McCabes. The Coach House. Belly Up, Winstons. These are the places music truly comes alive. Ellis Paul. Lisa Sanders, Poltz, T Sisters, Jeff Berkley, Calman Hart just to name a few. Betcha never heard any of these folks and you are worse for it. The road is full of 'small acts' that'll blow your socks off.  Dave Alvin used to come to a local venue, AMSD (Acoustic Music San Diego) and give you one of those shows you talk about to, as you said, all your friends. And these smaller venues will expose you to music that you (probably) wouldn't give a shot.  I'm a rock and roller to the core but that started changing when I saw the likes of Dave Stamey (Cowboy), Led Kaapana (Slack Key guitar), and Ray LaMontaigne (in a room with 40 people before he 'made it). The only person I'll see in an arena environment is Springsteen. Like him or not his shows are never less than spectacular.  Point being, see Poltz and adventure to those other acts that don't blip on the radar and you will be richer for it.

Robert Tussey

_________________________________

Steve Poltz is awesome.

I saw Steve at a house show the night he ran the sausage race in Milwaukee. It was a perfect night. During our break, we chatted about Obama and politics. Later, he sang me a birthday song because he thought I was cool.  I had been a fan for a while and believe I may have everything he has recorded.

He is way cool. The show was in the basement rec room of a home in suburban Milwaukee. Cozy and fun. He played his heart out. It is one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Once again, Bob, you are correct. Find the closet (or fly cross country) show and see Poltz.

Your pal,

Kevin Lampe

_________________________________

I love both of these men. Thanks for writing them up!

Auyon Mukharji

_________________________________

Known him for years and years in San Diego, he's a real character 

Marty Schwartz

_________________________________

In 2012, I remember strongly urging you to join us at the Swallow Hill room at Folk Alliance to experience Steve and his massive talent. We also had some other musical luminaries including the Wood Brothers, Elephant Revival, and Tim and Nikki Blum. 

I wish I had taken a photo of your smile. It was the same one we were all wearing as we got "Poltz-ed". 

I'm so glad you included him in your blog this week. His stories and songs in a live setting surpass every live show I've attended. And you're right, all the stories he tells are true, and unbelievable. Stories like him and Jewel joining Federales on a huge drug bust in Mexico. Or a Poltz/David Cassidy collaboration that went absurdly awry in the front row of a venue in Las Vegas. He can even make a story about winding his watch hilarious. 

But it's not just the humor. Songs like "Brief History of My Life" and "Medical Career" are deep and so touching as to bring tears. 

Poltz earned his kudos through years and years of touring and expert song craft. It's something he must do, not just something he simply wants to do. 

I remember sitting with him in an auditorium in a Toronto while you were speaking about the music business to a large assembly of music industry peeps. When you were taking questions, Poltz asked you how many people subscribed to "The Lefsetz Letter." You smiled and said "I can't tell you exactly, but it's the population of a good-sized city." 

Bob, I hope your city of subscribers gets a chance to see Steve Poltz, to experience his energy, his stories and his songs. 

Thanks for your work.

Tom Scharf

_________________________________

Ok, thanks!

Steve Poltz - 2024 Tucson Folk Festival

www.youtube.com/watch?v=klN_aLpBPu0

Tom Martin

_________________________________

After years of reading your column, this is the first time I felt a need to respond.  Mainly because I have a very personal attachment to Steve Polz which I will explain, but also because I agree with you the days of artist development and believing in your gut an Artist has talent and are not swayed by any analytics or lack thereof has diminished.  

The Artist and the music should always come first.  If you believe in a talent, there's a belief and a magic about them you are inclined to see it through and come up with a long-term plan to see them succeed.  

You nailed it with Steve Polz and thank you for giving him the recognition he deserves.  No one works harder than him.  That should not change with the new ways of doing business and should always be about a connection emotionally with an audience and Steve Polz has that.

I met Steve Poltz in the late 90's.  I had been a manager for such artists as Gregg Allman, Ronnie Spector, and the great Jeff Buckley, among others.  When Buckley passed tragically, Danny Goldberg, who I co-managed the Allman Brothers Band with and because I was very successful with Artists internationally, (many of them you would have not heard about because they were not popular in the U.S), asked if I would be interested in running the international department at the Mercury Records Group.

This was my first corporate job, and I applied the same management philosophy I always had to my new role. In a short period of time, we took the label from one million seller to many, including Cake, The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones and the most controversial project, was David Munns and myself set on making Shania Twain a huge pop star internationally before she broke in the U.S.  We re-imagined her and with redoing her country album into a pop album.  We also gave her a new image and worldwide they all said we were crazy it would never happen.  However we believed and it happened. 

Everyone thought I was crazy around the world for wanting to release these artists internationally, but we succeeded with all and became the number one label in the world with this focus at that time.

Therein comes Steve Polz.  When I met him at the record company and even without hearing him perform, I found him infectious.  Then when I did see him perform, I knew he had what it took.  I then came up with a plan for him to break internationally because my gut believed in him.

Fortunately, with my new role, I had a President in Danny Goldberg, that allowed me to do as I thought was best for the label and the Artists and no one had a say in what I wanted to do but myself.  This was why we became successful.  No one was questioning me with the decisions I was making either artistically or financially.  Steve Polz was one of those decisions I am proud to play a small part in wanting to make him successful. We began building his fan base one fan at a time with live shows and very little support from the affiliates around the world.  It did not matter. He began building the base that he has today.  

I knew if people saw Steve Polz perform live, they would fall in love with him.  Not only newfound fans, but media and others at the labels around the world.  Because it was just Steve and a guitar, the costs were low and we began booking shows in small venues in the UK, Europe, and Australia.  Audiences fell in love with him like you and I have.

I still talk to Steve occasionally and follow him on the social media platforms.  I am so proud of what he has accomplished.  He always had the attitude to do what it took to succeed.  He also was not a huge expenditure for the label.  Did he sell millions of what they then called albums, no!  What he did do was build a real career for himself internationally.

You hit the nail on the head with Steve Polz and thanks for highlighting him in your column.  You are right.....Go see Steve Polz live and you will be transfixed by his talent and keep coming to his live shows.

Thanks Bob.  Artist development is not dead to some of us.

Dave Lory
President
Worldwide Entertainment Group

_________________________________

Bob,
Thank you. It was fantastic to see you. 
I'm honored that you wrote all those words about the evening.  I hope we can one day eat some food together.  I would like that.  
Cheers,
Steve P
linktr.ee/stevepoltz

--
Visit the archive: lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-iHeart: ihr.fm/2Gi5PFj
-Apple: apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, Unsubscribe

To change your email address this link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fly Fishing and Trading… Yes, They Have a Lot in Common.

it’s about using the right tool for the job                                                 Tips, tricks, tutorials and even trade ideas...