Monday, November 14, 2022

Using the Best Data Can Give You an Edge Like Nothing Else

Editor's note: Today in Empire Financial Daily, we're sharing more insights from our friend and colleague Marc Chaikin, the founder of our corporate affiliate Chaikin Analytics... As regular readers know, after decades of experience on Wall Street, Marc now shares his "Power Gauge" with individual investors to find winning stock ideas. In today's essay, he […]
Not rendering correctly? View this e-mail as a web page here.

Editor's note: Today in Empire Financial Daily, we're sharing more insights from our friend and colleague Marc Chaikin, the founder of our corporate affiliate Chaikin Analytics...

As regular readers know, after decades of experience on Wall Street, Marc now shares his "Power Gauge" with individual investors to find winning stock ideas. In today's essay, he explains how critical it is to rely on the right data...


Using the Best Data Can Give You an Edge Like Nothing Else

By Marc Chaikin


The No. 1 rebound stock of 2022?

One of the most talked-about stocks of 2022 is set to take off any day. You can grab shares for less than $5... But likely not for long. Find out why.


'You're not really going to only rely on the firm's research, are you?'

It was 1966. I had just landed a position as a broker. And at the time, I really did think my own firm's research would be plenty for me and my clients.

A member of the "old guard" had pulled me aside to tell me different. "Listen, you'll have to learn this on your own. But there's someone I think you should know about..."

It might sound like a random piece of advice. But it was actually a life-changing introduction... one that completely transformed my approach to helping investors.

It started when my colleague introduced me to George Chestnutt's financial writing. I'm guessing you haven't heard of Chestnutt. But his work was pioneering at the time.

He used math to find the strongest industry groups... and the strongest stocks in those groups.

That made Chestnutt an outsider for sure. Back then, nearly everyone was looking at a smattering of fundamentals. Then, they'd assemble an interesting story around those few bullet points, and that was it.

The best storytellers turned out to be talented brokers. That is, they were talented at getting their clients to buy.

It was great for them... not so great for their clients.

The day of that conversation, I realized my mentor was right. I needed more than just stories.

My clients deserved better. Not only that, but to really be able to sell, I knew I'd need to have data to back up my claims.

So I did the most reasonable thing... I signed up for Chestnutt's newsletter service.

Chestnutt's work was my way of accessing the best data available at the time. And I knew that I wanted the best data available on my side.

Here's the thing, though. To get the best data, you have to go the extra mile...

Chestnutt was a bit "out there" compared to most analysts at the time. The guy spent his time meticulously tracking the major industries trading on Wall Street. He did a lot of it by hand. And he did the rest with early calculators.

Those of us who were around back then know what a monumental task this was. You'd have to be a little crazy to even pursue it.

I didn't realize where I was headed back in the '60s... not at first. But once I looked outside my own firm, I started to follow Chestnutt's path. My life's work became collecting data, parsing it, and using it to make evidence-based investing decisions.

I've been very fortunate and successful at it.

Bloomberg built my systems into its world-famous trading terminals. And its main competitor, Thomson Reuters, did too.

I made finding the best data my life's goal... and just as important, performing the best analysis on it.

I've found it deeply rewarding. And I'm passionate about sharing it. That's because the best data gives you an edge as an investor that nothing else can.


Recommended Link:

The ONLY way to play markets like these

Warren Buffett once said, "Price is what you pay... value is what you get." The best investor in the world knows the only way to prosper (especially in markets like these)... is to invest in VALUE. But this $2 stock could be the last value play in the market today. See why this $2 stock go up 25 times and still be a bargain here.


I saw firsthand exactly how important this was after the financial crisis in 2008...

I saw the little guy get creamed by Wall Street. So my focus shifted yet again. I developed a set of tools for individual investors. They're specifically designed to turn trading and investing into a fair fight for those who aren't Wall Street elites.

Together, this set of tools is called the "Power Gauge." And I've poured everything I've learned over my more than 50 years in finance into it.

My Power Gauge even got me on CNBC's Fast Money Halftime Report back in 2012.

"Based on the bearish Power Gauge rating, I think the risk of a negative earnings surprise is too great," I said back on a panel with Jon Najarian.

You've likely heard of him... The NFL-linebacker-turned-high-profile-trader had become a household name in the financial world by then. He would go on to sell his publishing and trading platforms, optionMONSTER and tradeMONSTER, to E-Trade just a few years later for $750 million.

He was at the peak of his financial career. And although I'd been making the rounds on CNBC, this was the first time we had crossed paths.

The stock we were talking about was online travel agency Priceline, which later changed its name to Booking Holdings (BKNG). It was one of Jon's bullish trades at the time. And I had just told CNBC viewers that it looked too risky...

The thing is, I didn't know anything about Priceline. But I did have the Power Gauge to guide me. And that was all I needed...

The Power Gauge combines more than 56 years of data-driven market research...

And it packages everything I've learned about the markets into actionable information for every stock it processes.

So I didn't need to know much about Priceline. I simply typed in the ticker and got my report.

Instantly, I was able to see that Priceline was set up to release disappointing earnings. The Power Gauge made it clear.

Obviously, the interface for the Power Gauge has gotten more refined over the years. Here's an example of another stock that the Power Gauge is bearish on...

You might not have heard of Vuzix (VUZI)...

But that's not important – because the Power Gauge has.

Each of these sliders is backed by data that can be further explored. And the data shows us that Vuzix is in a risky spot for investors right now.

That was the kind of setup I saw when I told Jon Najarian – one of the most famous traders in finance at the time – that Priceline looked like a no-go. The Power Gauge had provided me with the most important (and most relevant) information.

Again, Jon was excited about the stock. But he was a professional. And that means he was willing to reexamine his ideas.

The interview ended with Jon saying, 'I'm going to take a harder look, since Marc Chaikin doesn't like it'...

That was Monday, August 6, 2012. On Wednesday, the day after Priceline's earnings, the Halftime Report did a highly unusual follow-up...

The host started by asking Jon, "Chaikin spooked you a little bit?" He responded...

He did indeed. And I think... a lot of folks followed Mr. Chaikin. Those of us that picked up some cheap out-of-the-money puts... well, they worked out like a charm.

Those puts went from, like, $1.80 last night to $15, $16... Again, great call by Marc Chaikin. And thanks, Marc, for helping me out.

In short, the Power Gauge was right. Priceline missed earnings. And Jon listened to it, made a bearish bet, and racked up big profits instead of taking major losses.

Now, one great call is just that... a single great call. But it was only possible because I had the Power Gauge at my side.

The Power Gauge uses the best data available to help individual investors make consistently great calls...

And my goal is to share that power with as many investors as I can – which is why I've just created a way to give you free access to the Power Gauge.

Tomorrow morning, at 10 a.m. Eastern time, I'm holding a free special event to air the full story about how a historic financial reset in 2023 could cause a run on the banks unlike anything in U.S. history.

I'll also share the name of which vehicle to move your money into for the chance to double, triple, or even quadruple your cash as this story unfolds.

To help you get ready, you can get free access to the Power Gauge when you reserve your spot for tomorrow's event – right here.

Regards,

Marc Chaikin
November 14, 2022


If someone forwarded you this e-mail and you would like to be added to the Empire Financial Daily e-mail list to receive e-mails like this every weekday, simply sign up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most important medical advance in 100 years

Artificial Intelligence is being harnessed to create breakthrough drugs no one has ever seen before. ͏  ͏  ͏  ͏  ͏  ͏  ͏  ͏  ͏  ͏  ͏  ͏  ͏  ...