Saturday, June 17, 2023

What we’re cooking for Father’s Day

"My dad loves loves loves these ribs."

Our Picks for Dad Food

What is Dad Food? J.J. Goode asks exactly this in his new article for The New York Times.

He sought out dads across the country "ready to be regaled with tales of sous-vide machines acquired, briskets smoked and sourdough starters meticulously tended," he writes, "the kind of performative cookery undertaken when you don't necessarily have to get dinner on the table five nights a week."

J.J. also found hopeful signs about "the future of fatherly cooking, not to mention some surprising evidence of my own culinary dadness."

Dad Food could also very well be the title of our collection of New York Times Cooking recipes that are perfect for Father's Day: hearty bean nachos with spicy salsa, perfect buttermilk pancakes, slow cooker BBQ pulled pork sandwiches (above). And below, some of our New York Times Cooking colleagues shared real-life examples of Dad Food they'd make for the father figures in their life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

"My dad is a picky eater, so there isn't much we can agree on when it comes to food. But I just learned how to make pernil and have been dying to serve it to him. The next time I go home to Miami, I'm looking forward to making him Maricel Presilla's recipe (adapted by Von Diaz), with its succulent and flavorful interior under crackling skin. It's one of his favorites at any restaurant and on holidays, so I know it'll impress him." CHRISTINA MORALES

"My dad loves loves loves these oven bbq ribs from Millie Peartree. It's heartwarming — he went from never liking ribs or barbecue sauce to fighting the rest of my family for extra pieces." KRYSTEN CHAMBROT

"My dad was our pancake champion on the weekends, always making a runny batter to fry huge, thin crepes that we'd each customize with our favorite toppings (mine was lemon zest and juice with a sludge of white sugar down the center, and my brother's was whipped cream and cherry jam). If I was cooking for the holiday this year, I'd try to wake up earlier than him to make Gabrielle Hamilton's crisp-edged buckwheat crepes (ham, cheese, eggs, plus some nice dressed salad leaves on top at the end)." TEJAL RAO

"I'm going to see my dad in a couple weeks, at which point I'll pass him Genevieve Ko's recipe for grilled chicken legs. He's great with a grill, so I'll put myself on sides duty — maybe Lidey Heuck's salt and vinegar roasted potatoes, or Hetty McKinnon's punchy broccoli salad — after handing everyone an old-fashioned." MIA LEIMKUHLER

"My dad lives across the country in Beaverton, Ore., but if I could make something for him for Father's Day, it would be Yossy Arefi's peanut butter hot fudge sundaes. The subtle saltiness of the peanut butter with the bitterness of the dark chocolate in this classic dessert elevates it to an extra-special level. Also, I can personally vouch that any leftover fudge is excellent by the cold spoonful, straight out of the fridge." CAT BALDWIN

"My dad died last May, but if he were here, I'd make him this apple pie, adapted by Sam Sifton from a recipe by Kierin Baldwin. In the light of day, he insisted that he 'didn't really like sweets.' But if there was an apple pie in the house, you would find him at midnight, standing at the counter, tucking in, with an open carton of vanilla ice cream nearby." MARGAUX LASKEY

"I honestly have no clue what to cook for Father's Day, but I do know for certain I'll have Florence Fabricant's basic pesto on hand. Why? Because this easy-as-Sunday-morning recipe is endlessly flexible. Whether you end up grilling a steak or making a giant salad (which we love to do in our house), this pesto can be deployed in various ways. And honestly, if you wanted to substitute some mint for some basil or swap pecorino for Parmesan, I promise that dad won't notice." ELEANORE PARK

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for Cooking from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Cooking, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, including those regarding The Athletic, manage your email settings. To opt out of updates and offers sent from The Athletic, submit a request.

Subscribe to NYT Cooking

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagrampinterest

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unlock MASSIVE Portfolio Potential with These 3 Stocks

Dear Reader, Feel like you've been priced out of the best tech stocks? Or are you confused by the biotech market desp...