Sunday, August 20, 2023

Grilled corn on the cob and hot dogs any which way

More late summer standbys: yakitori-style salmon, pasta al pomodoro, Oklahoma onion burgers.

Hot dogs and grilled corn are never a bad idea

Good morning. By the time you read this I'll be off the grid and either cutting firewood or chasing fish, getting ready to cook on a wood stove, to wash dishes in rainwater, to read novels, to sleep under star-bright skies. I'll be plotting meals, proofing sourdough, sleuthing for blackberries at the back of beyond. My colleagues will cover for me while I'm gone, offering you many delicious things to cook and eat. I'll see you in September.

My dinner tonight could be yours as well, though: grilled corn on the cob (above), slathered with butter and served alongside a platter of hot dogs prepared in the American way, which is to say in a lot of different ways, as J.J. Goode reported for The New York Times. You can't go wrong with corn and hot dogs, ever.

Featured Recipe

As for the rest of the week, I'll be dependent on what I can stalk or gather. But for you? I've assembled some lovely meals. …

Monday

Pierre Franey's recipe for linguine with lemon sauce is a marvel of elegant simplicity, refined and delicious. Commit to the cream and butter, please. You're not going to eat this way every day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Tuesday

A salty-sweet sauce of soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic and ginger adorns Kay Chun's yakitori-style salmon with scallions and zucchini, which I like to make in bulk so that there are leftovers for a lunchtime salad the following day. A hat tip to my colleague Steven Raichlen: Putting a couple of bricks on your grill top, spaced so that you can rest the ends of your skewers on them, means that you'll get direct heat on the ingredients without worrying that they'll stick to the grates.

Wednesday

I love Gabrielle Hamilton's recipe for swordfish piccata mostly on account of the pan sauce, which allows me to swap out the protein with ease for chicken cutlets, say, or better yet, slabs of seitan or pressed tofu. Extra capers, please.

Thursday

It's coming on high tomato season in much of the country, and Eric Kim's recipe for pasta al pomodoro makes great use of the high-flavor, low-moisture varieties. Think Campari, plum or cherry, cooked down to its purest essence.

Friday

There's something thrilling about learning a new technique for cooking hamburgers, as I did with Kenji López-Alt's recipe for Oklahoma onion burgers, with their gently steamed buns. Could you perform a similar trick with portobello mushrooms in place of the beef? I think you could!

There are thousands and thousands more recipes to cook this week waiting for you on New York Times Cooking. Yes, you need a subscription to read them. Subscriptions make this whole enterprise possible. So if you haven't already? I hope you will consider subscribing today. Thanks extremely.

If you run into difficulties with our technology, reach out to us: cookingcare@nytimes.com. Someone will get back to you. Or, if you'd like to tell me off or pay a compliment to my colleagues, drop me a line at foodeditor@nytimes.com. I won't see it until my return, and I cannot respond to everyone. But I read every letter I get!

Now, it's nothing whatsoever to do with recipes, kitchens, cake pans or summer savory, but Zach Helfand's recent reporting on monster trucks, in The New Yorker, is still plenty delicious, with facts stacked as high as the rigs' 66-inch tires.

My current favorite TikTok dude: Chef Reactions in all his anonymity.

Alexandra Jacobs reviewed Clare Carlisle's new biography of George Eliot for The Times, and I went out and bought the book immediately to take into the woods.

Finally, here's some playoff music for the kid: The Go-Go's, "Vacation," live in Central Park, 2001. (Our Jon Pareles was there.) Take care, and I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Fresh, delicious dinner ideas for busy people, from Emily Weinstein and NYT Cooking.

Sign up for the Five Weeknight Dishes newsletter

Fresh dinner ideas for busy people who want something great to eat, with NYT Cooking recipes sent to you weekly.

Get it in your inbox

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for Cooking from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Cooking, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, including those regarding The Athletic, manage your email settings. To opt out of updates and offers sent from The Athletic, submit a request.

Subscribe to NYT Cooking

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagrampinterest

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Private investors pour $50 billion into booming sector… investment opportunity

Unstoppable megatrend driven by hundreds of billions in government spending ...