Sunday, March 19, 2023

What to cook: Kid-friendly recipes, chicken ragù and more.

Make Ali Slagle's spicy tahini meatballs with pita, cucumber and avocado.

What to Cook This Week

Good morning. I don't know that my father made fried chicken every Sunday afternoon when I was small, but that's how I remember it: the slice of bacon floating in the spattery oil, flour everywhere, golden crusty chicken laid out on a wire rack, then kept warm in the oven before supper. Mashed potatoes to go with, gravy, greens I rarely ate, everything washed down with a tall glass of milk and the New Lost City Ramblers on the turntable. It was among my favorite meals as a child.

I bring the memory up today because we've published a wonderful collection of 24 recipes, online and in print today, beloved by our subscribers' children: kid-friendly recipes approved by actual kids.

Among other recipes, you'll find homemade Hamburger Helper (above), a sheet-pan bibimbap and a cheesy white bean-tomato bake. I hope you'll cook a bunch of them. Me? I'll continue the tradition today and serve the youth as I was served myself.

As for the rest of this week's cooking. …

Monday

I love Colu Henry's recipe for creamy white beans with herb oil, in part because it's delicious, in part because it comes together easily on a weeknight and in part because I like drizzling the leftover herb oil on fried eggs the next morning.

Tuesday

Chicken ragù with rosemary is Ali Slagle's latest recipe for us, a powerfully flavorful dish that comes together in under an hour. Secret ingredients: butter, anchovies and garlic. Nothing wrong with those.

Wednesday

I make Ali's spicy tahini meatballs with pita, cucumber and avocado with ground turkey, though she calls for chicken, and I might try it next week with lamb. It's a fast and simple weeknight recipe that stays moist because of the tahini and hot sauce. Don't neglect the mint at the end!

Thursday

If you find wild shrimp at the market and don't mind the splurge, you can't do much better than making Melissa Clark's new recipe for butter-poached shrimp with dill mayonnaise. Melissa can knock that dish out in 10 minutes. It might take you and me twice that time, and we'd still be happy.

Friday

And then I like the idea of heading into the weekend with Kayla Stewart's recipe for stewed chicken and dumplings, an adaptation of one developed in 1962 by Freda DeKnight, the food editor of Ebony magazine at the time. It's the business.

There are many thousands more recipes to cook this week waiting for you on New York Times Cooking. You need a subscription to read them, though. If you haven't taken one out already, I hope you will subscribe today. (For a special rate on a subscription to the complete Times experience, which includes Cooking, check out our All Access sale, ending soon.)

You are not alone. If you run into trouble with our technology, write cookingcare@nytimes.com and someone will get back to you. If you want to sound off on me or simply say hello, write foodeditor@nytimes.com. I can't respond to every letter. But I read every one I get.

Now, it's nothing to do with cardamom or cake, but I got an early look at the novel "City of Dreams," Don Winslow's follow-up to "City on Fire." It's the second of a trilogy about Danny Ryan, a Rhode Island hard man with an extra-large heart. (The third novel may be Winslow's last.) It's worth reading them both.

That's also true of the architecture critic Kate Wagner's essay in The Nation, "Liberating Our Homes From the Real Estate-Industrial Complex." Greige!

Here's "Fish Tales," a short story from Karen Kao, in The Kenyon Review.

Finally, this new Miley Cyrus and Brandi Carlile track, "Thousand Miles"? Yes, please. Play that loud, and I'll see you at the end of the week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for Cooking from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Cooking, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to NYT Cooking

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagrampinterest

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment